Lisini Brunello di Montalcino & Champagne Lombard

My lil boo thang called and said he wanted to relax with some wine so I came over with a few num nums to go with out burgers and fries.

Champagne Lombard NV extra brut premier cru

I wanted to start off the night with some bubbles and Champagne Lombard was a perfect choice. A small, family owned house started in 1925 by a small farmer, now the children of his son-in-law focus on terroir expressing, low or no dosage champagne. The family specializes in Premier and Grand cru sites in the Montagne de Reims, in the Vallée de l’Ardre and in the Cote des Bars.

Yes, sis we fancy.

This premier cru sources a 60% blend of Pinot Noir and Pinot Muenier from the western side of Reims in Gueux, Villedommange, Jouy- Les-Reims, Coulomnes, and Sermier, while the other 40% is from Chardonnay grown in Grauves and Vertus in Cotes des Blancs.

ZE FOAM BOSS ZE FOAM!

The pale gold color gives way to a stone fruity nose, while the palate gave me more of apples, nectarines and cherries. A delicious biscuity buttery scent and flavor last on the plate wiped away by a fresh lick of minerality. This wine makes you want to go back for more and is perfect for any part of a meal or just on its own.

Lisini brunello di montalcino 2015

If you don’t know about Lisini then you need to listen up. This family has been making wine since the dawn of time, literally the estate has been around since the 1300s. Before the region reached DOCG status (aka top tier wine), only 11 producers made this 100% Sangiovese Grosso wine. In true traditional fashion, this estate has a legacy of highlighting the elegant power of the grosso clone. The brilliant minds of Bondi Santi, Le Pergole Torte, and Felsina have all had not only a theoretical influence, but a hands on one as well. One of the founding members of the consorizo di Brunello in 1967, Carlo Baldi Lisini, Ludovica Lisini & Lorenzo Baldi Lisini are adamant about carrying on this family legacy.

Fermented in glass lined cement and aged in Slovakian oak, this Sangiovese is one of the most sought after expressions of Montalcino. The ability for the cherries to be ripe with a tantalizingly smoky stony terroir wraps around the exotic plum flavors with brown savory spices perfect for pizza or steak. The ripeness of fruit show off the southwest facing slopes of the Sant’Angelo in Colle and Castelnuovo dell’Abate while maintaining a delicate attention to ripeness in the vineyard, and the elegant silky tannins show a soft hand in the winery.

I couldn’t stop drinking this wine. Tantalizing at 14.5% she (yes wines are female) will build you up with all the liquid courage you may need.

Only 3000 cases of this wine are made so if you see it, grab it, drink it, cellar it, share it, whatever you do, cherish it.

Side by side in the glass.

I found both bottles at Buzz wine beer shop in Downtown LA and it was about 130 dollars all together. The Lisini should be between $50-$80 dollars for current release (2015-2017) and the Lombard $30-$50.

For all you wine bargain hunters out there, these may be hard to find, as they’re both rare and low quantity, but stay tuned! I’ve got some declassified stuff in my back pocket for you.

Till next time!

Happy drinking.

-Boozy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: